Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about modding the game or post your mods you want to share here.

You can also post requests for specific funtions or variables if you need any and we will see what we can do about them. (No guarantees though).

Please be advised that since the game is still in development many aspects of how the game operates are likely to change.

TOPIC: About modding

About modding 3 years 4 months ago #1

• Merced
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 91
First of, the game is currently in development. This means that many aspects of the game are likely going to change until the final version comes around. So I advise you not to spend too much work on modifying existing files just yet.

While the game is not being written specifically to be modded, it is also not discouraged. For this reason I have decided early in the development process to NOT encrypt the data files used by the game, except for savegame files and opponent files (which are modified savegames at this point) to prevent cheating. You can use Notepad to work with most of the data files.

With the game not officially supporting mods yet the only way you can mod the game is by changing or in some cases adding files. You can find all the required files in the installation folder.
The DATA folder contains mostly script files that describe the different screens in the game or contain data like the body descriptions or the components. Please be advised that the layout of these files is certainly going to change at some point as the system is not at all flexible yet and would write over your modifications with each new update. Also be advised that I did not really document anything or put a lot of remarks into these files, so you will have to figure things out on your own.
The GFX folder contains all the 2D graphics and the 3D objects used by the game. Most of which are at some point called by the scripts in the DATA folder.
The SFX folder currenltly only holds the music files but is intended to hold sound effects eventually. Please be advised that if you intend to modify the music played by the game you will also have to work with the file music.dat in the DATA folder.

At some point I will be adding a dedicated data structure to the %appdata%/Cars Incorporated structure to hold mods, until then be sure to always back up your work before updating anything.

Please be advised that you are modifying the files of the game at your own risk and that you are not allowed to redistribute the game itself in a modified way. You can post your mods containing all modified and new files in this Modding section.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 2.689 seconds